What is Assimilation?
- A cognitive process whereby new experiences tend to be worked into existing cognitive frameworks even if the new information has to be reinterpreted or distorted to make it fit (Butcher, Mineka & Hooley, 2004)
- Occurs when individuals incorporate new information into existing knowledge (Santrock, 2003)
- In Piaget's theory, it is dealing with a new event in a way that is consistent with an existing scheme (Ormrod, 2003)
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do we incorporate new information and experiences into existing schemas or frameworks?
- What theory is the basis of this process?
- Is there an alternative or supplemental meaning behind this process?