What are Antianxiety Agents?
- Commonly known as tranquilizers, they reduce anxiety by making people calmer and less excitable (Santrock, 2003)
- Drugs that are used primarily for alleviating anxiety (Butcher, Mineka & Hooley, 2004)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the different antianxiety agents?
- Are there agents available for childhood anxiety disorders?
- What is the chemical component of antianxiety drugs?
- When were anti-anxiety drugs first developed? Were they developed initially to treat anxiety, or was it coincidental?
- Are antianxiety drugs also called tranquilizers? What is the reason behind its second name? Is it because reduced anxiety also means tranquility?
- How are antianxiety medications prescribed? Who are allowed to prescribe them?
- What are the commonly prescribed types and brands?
- What are the usual effects? Are there also any rare effects of these agents?