What is Acting Out?
- An ego-defense mechanism of engaging in antisocial or excessive behavior without regard to negative consequences as a way of dealing with emotional stress (Butcher, Mineka & Hooley, 2004)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does "acting out" mean? Does it mean that we tend to stop ourselves from doing what we think is best in a situation, and that acting these thoughts out can help correct some behavioral problems stemming from these "suppressed" thoughts?
- Is it effective in reducing emotional stress? In what way?
- What is the significance of "acting out" among cluster B personality disorders?
- What are some forms of extreme and unethical acting outs? How extreme, or how ethical, should an acting out be to be considered such? What causes these extreme and unethical bouts?